TMD stands for temporomandibular joint disorder. If you have this problem, you’ll feel pain or tenderness in your jaw. That’s because there has been an injury to the joint or muscle that controls your jaw. Maybe you grind your teeth at night, or you have poor posture or your teeth are misaligned. Whatever the cause of your TMD, Matus Family Dentistry can help solve this issue.
Signs You May Have TMD
- Clicking or Pain in Your Jaw
- Jaw Locking, Popping, or Grating
- Painful Bite and/or Chewing
- Teeth Grinding
- Tenderness around Jaw, Neck, Cheeks, Ears
- Stiffness in Your Jaw
- Face Feels Tired/Change in Facial Expression
- Bite Changes
How Can Matus Family Dentistry Help?
You don’t have to soldier on through the pain and discomfort of TMD. Matus Family Dentistry can diagnose and treat this problem using a variety of methods, including mouthguards which help take the pressure off your jaw and make space for it to heal. Mouthpieces can also help reduce bad habits like teeth grinding. You’ll likely experience less headaches as well.
What You Can Do
Not all jaw pain is a result of TMD. Some pain can be alleviated through a few simple changes in your habits and stress levels. You may want to try some of the following tips.
- Practice relaxing your face
- Try not to grind your teeth
- Avoid chewing gum
- Never cradle your phone between your head and shoulder
- Distribute and chew food evenly on both sides of the mouth
- Try not to sit with your chin rested on your hand
- Develop habits of good posture – keep your back straight, your head up, and your shoulders squared
Call Matus Family Dentistry
If you have tried to deal with your TMD, but have found that it’s getting worse, don’t hesitate to call us at Matus Family Dentistry. We will help to assess the problem and aid you in finding a solution that works for you and conforms to your lifestyle. Our goal is always to alleviate your discomfort and support you in all your dental health needs.